Setting Up & Getting Space on the Quad
Space Reservations and Opening & Closing Times:
Use the guidelines below to reserve your tailgating space for the west and east sides of the Quad.
Please note: Any UA group that wants to have a planned tailgating or Gameday event that requires a tent larger than 10’ x 10’ or a secured space must fill out a UA Grounds Use Permit http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/grounds/pages/grounds-use-permit.htm
- In an effort to give UA faculty, staff and students time to exit campus, tailgating may begin on The Quad in the designated areas after 6:00 p.m. on the Friday before home football games.
- The Quad drop off area along 9th Avenue will be open from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Friday before a home game.
Many fans tailgating on the Quad or other areas on campus leave personal belongings at their tailgate location to attend the game and do not retrieve those items until after the game has concluded or until the next day. It has come to the attention of the University that some fans have returned to their tailgate location and discovered that their personal belongings have been stolen or damaged. Please be advised that it is YOUR obligation to secure your personal belongings during the time you may be away from your tailgate location. The University does NOT assume any responsibility for guarding or protecting any of your personal items from theft or other calamity while you are at the game or until you return to your tailgate site to collect those items. Any items not collected by their owners by 12:00 noon on the day after a game will be considered abandoned and subject to collection by the University. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY SECURE YOUR PERSONAL BELONGINGS.
We appreciate your cooperation in observing these rules, as setting up prior to 6:00 p.m. may interfere with class and/or other academic activities.
Be courteous to others by not taking more space than you need. We ask that you not set aside large spaces on The Quad and/or set aside parking spaces.
Fan tailgating and tent setup is available in designated areas.
This area includes both the land west of the main walkway between Denny Chimes and Gorgas Library and the land north of the sidewalk that spans from Gorgas Library to 6th Avenue on the east side of The Quad.
Tents & Setup:
In areas designated for tailgating on the Quad:
- Fans are permitted to set up tents, not to exceed 20’ x 30’
- The use of spikes or stakes to secure your tent is prohibited. You may use small tent pegs that typically come with 10'x10' pop up tents. Sandbags are also permitted, but please do NOT dump the sand out on The Quad.
- The use of ribbons, ropes, etc., to block off or “save” an area is prohibited.
- Electrocution or damage to irrigation is potential hazard. BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND LOOK UPWARD FOR WIRES.
- To help preserve The Quad, all tents and tailgating supplies should be walked from the unloading zone to your desired location on The Quad.
- Fans CANNOT camp overnight on any University grounds except in designated parking lots reserved for RVs.
In areas for tailgating off the Quad:
- The University of Alabama values the longstanding tradition of tailgating on Crimson Tide home games. However, in the interest of keeping our focus on the academic mission of the campus, the University has instituted a set up time for non-Quad tailgaters.
- UA fans may set up a tent or otherwise block off a tailgating spot on the campus Friday morning before game Saturdays as long as it does not interfere with the normal daily functions of the University. If a tent is left unattended, the frame should be kept as low to the ground as possible to prevent vandalism and damage by the weather. Colored plastic tape may be used to mark off an area as long as the tape does not cause a hazard for pedestrians. The tape should be secured with the use of thin irrigation type flags/stakes that will not damage the turf, irrigation and landscaping. The use of stakes, light-poles, trees, shrubs, etc., to secure taping in strictly prohibited and subject to removal. Items of value should not be left unattended because UA cannot be responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Please do not block sidewalks or entrances/exits to buildings with tailgating supplies and tents.
- As a reminder, in an effort to keep the University of Alabama campus beautiful, all tailgaters campus wide must have their tents, grills, tables, etc., cleaned up and removed from the campus grounds by 12:00 p.m. (noon) the day after the home game (usually Sunday). As with our current policy, all tents and other tailgating items (excluding those placed for official University functions) must be removed by the stated deadline or they will be considered abandoned.
Click Here to see the Gameday Quad Map
To accommodate the Crimson Ride transit system and routes, an unloading zone will be open along 9th Avenue on the west side of The Quad ONLY during the following times:
Friday 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Gameday 6:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. for morning games
- Gameday 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. for afternoon games
Gameday 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. for evening games
There will be a 15 minute time limit in the unloading zone. Once the unloading zone is closed, all vehicles must be removed. Towing will then be enforced.
Due to potential traffic hazards, loading and unloading elsewhere is prohibited.
To access the unloading zone along 9th Avenue, use the following route:
Take Marr’s Spring Road off of Campus Drive. Turn left onto Stadium Drive and it will lead to McCorvey Drive.
Turn right onto McCorvey Drive. There will be an attendant at this point to assist you.
McCorvey Drive will then lead you to the 9th Avenue unloading zone.
Loading Zone After the Game:
For post game, a re-loading zone will be open along 9th Avenue on the west side of The Quad. Due to the high amount of pedestrian traffic and the use of Capstone Drive as a transit lane, this re-loading zone will open once all Gameday pedestrian and bus traffic clears (approximately two hours after the end of the game or sooner if determined by officials). For access, please utilize the same route as the pre-game loading zone.
Gasoline-powered generators are strictly prohibited on The Quad. They create noise and fumes that are disturbing to others.
- Cooking is limited to grills only.
- Grills should be set up away from, or protected from, pedestrian traffic and flammable materials.
- Grills must be monitored at all times.
- Extinguish all flames before leaving your area.
- Do not dump charcoal on The Quad. Charcoal Dump Stations are available on the west side of the Quad. See map for more details.
- Do not dump cooking oil on The Quad
Grills or fire pits are not allowed within 50 feet of campus buildings or under tents. All fires must be contained within grills or other containers designed specifically for that purpose. Extinguish fires thoroughly with water before leaving them unattended. Place extinguished charcoal in designated containers or remove it from campus for disposal. Do not dump charcoal on the ground or in dumpsters. Grilling/fire pits are not allowed in the parking decks.
Tailgate locations with grills or fire pits must have a 2.5 pound all-purpose fire extinguisher within 15 feet of the fire. At least one person in attendance must be trained in use of the fire extinguisher.
There will be an enhanced power supply provided to the reserved tents on the Quad this coming season. As such, it should relieve some of the strain put on the electrical power supplied through the light poles on the northern half of the Quad. However, the rules still remain for proper usage of the power on the light poles.
During inclement weather, it may become necessary to disrupt electrical service to the Quad and other tailgating areas. UA officials will disseminate this announcement via all communication channels available at the time of disruption. UA will restore power as soon as it can be determined that potential electrical hazards caused by the weather have been minimized.
- You may hook-up a power strip, to prevent damage from possible surges, but only one thing may be plugged into it.
- The use of multiple power strips or multiple plugs on a single outlet is prohibited as it will put a strain on the power supply from that pole resulting in a breaker trip.
- Only two hook-ups per outlet is allowed.
- Secure electrical cords crossing sidewalks to avoid a tripping hazard.
- Please remove all tape used to secure the electrical cords to the sidewalk when you leave The Quad.
- Power will be cut off at specific time following each game:
- Evening - 1.5 hours after the game
- Afternoon - 2 hours after the game or 10 p.m. (Whichever arrives first)
- Morning - 2 hours after the game
No vehicles or trailers will be allowed on the grass at the Quad or any building that faces the Quad, Gorgas House, Moore, Little, Foster, Russell, Fallalee, Wilson or Farrah Halls. This is to protect the turf and irrigation.
- In order to preserve The Quad for future generations, vehicles are not allowed on The Quad. Trailers with tailgating supplies can be pulled by hand onto The Quad for temporary unloading purposes. Trailers must be removed in a timely manner, not to exceed 30 minutes. Also, trailers must fit and remain on a sidewalk while unloading and cleaning up at your tailgating spot. Trailers with TVs may remain on the Quad if they meet the specifications below.
Click here to see the specific trailer specifications allowed
These specifications have been made in an effort to protect the turf, irrigation systems and remain consistent regarding size of trailers. We are also making every effort to conserve limited space so that we can offer tailgating space to the growing number of fans who request this popular venue annually.
Sound System Policy:
No sound systems utilitzing loud amplification or sound boards will be allowed on the Quad. No excessive loud music will be allowed. The Gameday Operations Staff will have sole discretion in determining if the overall volume level of other sound systems are appropriate.
UA Pet Policy:
Pets are permitted on the University of Alabama Quad. Pets must be crated, caged or upon a leash not longer than 6 feet or otherwise under physical restrictive control at all times. Pet owners are required to pick up after their pets and properly dispose of their droppings. Pets should not be left unattended.
Light Poles on the Quad
- You will notice the light poles on the Quad have a number located on the top of the pole which serves as an identifier for the location on the Quad that you are in. This numbering system will help provide information on where someone is located within the Quad. To see the map, click here
Hay and Straw Policy
- Hay and straw are not authorized on the Quad at anytime. This material can contain destructive insects and bacteria that is harmful to the soil and grass of the Quad.
- During inclement weather, we recommend you look for a grassy area where no lying water exists. If that is not possible, straw or hay may be placed in your immediate area but is your responsibility to clean up the straw or hay immediately upon leaving. A roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting may be equally suitable for mud control and is easily rolled up after use.
The above guidelines apply on Gameday weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in areas including, but not limited to: the entirety of The University of Alabama Quadrangle, all surrounding roadways and parking lots (including 6th Avenue, Capstone Drive and Colonial Drive), the general vicinity (front, left, right and rear sides) of Gallalee Hall, Nott Hall (including parking lot), Lloyd Hall, Smith Hall, Tuomey Academic House, Gorgas Library, Oliver Barnard Hall, Morgan Hall, Bidgood Hall, Carmichael Hall, and Graves Hall.